Wednesday, December 9, 2015

DIY Woodland Stocking Hangers



Metal Woodland Stocking Hangers:
the Gnome and the green mountains are from landofnod.com.

After finding the gnome and mountain from land of nod, I scoured etsy for any brass woodland figurines. There are a lot of brass figurines out there people! A lot. 

I took apart old stocking hangers and used the base for 2 of them and bought two bases for the other two (Target sells the plain bases in two-packs). I cleaned the animals with vinegar then glued them to the bases with E6000 glue. I primed the whole thing with a white primer. After that dried I spray painted them with a glossy spray paint and finished with a glossy clear coat. 


Next I'll blog the two new Island of the misfits stockings I made! They match my others from years past (here, herehere and here)

4 comments:

kms handmade said...

Speechless. No wait... OMG I DIED FROM THE CUTE!!! Seriously! I love these, and they are so perfectly you!

Unknown said...

Hi - I was wondering what brand spray paint you used? I am not a crafty person at all, but have bought the brass figurines and the stocking holders...just need to get the rest of the goods. I'd love it if they were bright colors (as yours are), but maybe had a sparkly/iridescence shine. Should I go to home depot, michaels, a local arts store, amazon? Help a sister out! thank you!

Jennifer said...

Hi! I used just a regular spray paint such as rust-oleum 2xUltra cover, bonds to wood metal plastic & more. I used gloss. I'd go to home depot or Lowe's. They USUALLY have a big selection. Also before I sprayed the animals and the stocking bases I rubbed them down with rubbing alcohol to get any grease or dirt off of them. And that usually dries pretty quickly. I'm pretty sure I sprayed all of them with a white primer first since their metal and sometimes paint has a hard time sticking to that and staying. You can use any spray paint as long as it's not just for glass like a frosted glass or an etching primer or maybe chalk. And then after everything was dry I clear coated them ( such as Rust-Oleum Crystal Clear enamel but it can be any of the clear spray paint). If you send me your email I can email back links to what I think I used. I can't send pictures through blogger comments.

Noreen said...

Hi Jennifer - Thank you so much for your reply, and also for the details you put in the blog. I will go to home depot or lowes and look for the rustoleum 2x ultra cover, crystal clear enamel, white primer, and E6000 glue. My email address is noreenzaman AT yahoo. Thanks for your time!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...