Friday, March 20, 2015

Tova Top: Flight Voile

Pattern is by Wiksten and called Tova. The fabric is Birch Organic Voile, Flight in color River Rock. I took a very long time to decide if I wanted to make this top because I'm not a fan of the Mandarin collar. But some of the versions I've seen of this shirt made are really cute so I finally decided to make it. I also was disappointed in this fabric when it arrived. It's a weird grey. More like a putty/lilac/grey. Sooo hard to explain. I have a million colors of thread but I still had to go out and buy a color to match this. Anyway, I think I like it.....I had trouble photographing it (this is two different days and the colors don't quite match. I had my friend Lisa take some of them then went out just now and had Emily take the top photo and the bottom photo. I wanted to show all views. There was a side view too but that didn't come out.

I altered the sleeves to be short (about 3" from the armpit). I made 2 muslin's (because I couldn't figure out what size I'd be) One in XL and one in Medium. I ended up making the Large. If it helps, I'm a 36D and 5 feet 7" tall but that's the only measurements you'll get from me:) "I'm big boned!" 
Oh and the pattern instructions were just ok. I didn't like the instructions being black and white photos and the fabrics used in the photos were hard to see. I researched and everyone I found said they loved the instructions. I guess I'm just difficult....

3 comments:

Lightning McStitch said...

:) I love your take on a muslin. Make two then go with a different size altogether for the final version. That's exactly the kind of thing I'd do. ( and I'm the same height, probably more "big boned" but with much less of a bust!)
The fabric looks great, Ute made a Carme blouse in the same fabric and I loved that.
The shirt looks super on you, but I agree that poorly matched threads and ordinary instructions (I much prefer illustrations to photos) can make you feel blah about a project.

kristin said...

TO-VA! TO-VA! Looks great! I have some of this voile too and sorta agree about the color; wasn't what I expected and I'm having trouble thinking of a home for it. Thanks for the heads up on the pattern, too. It looks like such an easy-to-wear spring blouse, though, nicely sewn!

kms handmade said...

I love It!!!!! I've seen this shirt made a bunch of times and loved them all, but still haven't bought the pattern. It looks great! The gray may be weird in real life but it looks good on the blog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...