Sunday, August 5, 2012

Faux Metal Wall Letters (shelf style)

* photo of above from landofnod.com*
I received an email from Landofnod.com showing their new items and the above metal letters were one of them. But they are $34 each. I almost bought them (just an A & and E) but then remembered that I bought these extra large paper mache letters from Joann's last summer and some stainless steel-like spray paint from the PX.

So I cut open each letter using an x-acto knife. This is what is inside:
Discard the middle filler and take top off completely. I tried to get as much of the scraggly paper edges off as I could but it just wasn't working. So I spray painted the letters with the rough edges. I think it kind of looks like torn metal after being spray painted.
So here they are after the spray paint (I did several layers). The spray paint doesn't thicken them so you can't put heavy items on them. And I do think they are a little boyish but I have many many more letters of varying sizes and fonts and designs to go around these (all A's and E's) so maybe that will help them look more feminine if I ever put them up. maybe less toys on them too....
Do they look like metal to you? I agree they are not as nice as the originals. I would still prefer the land of nod ones.

7 comments:

Corinnea said...

This is great! I think it's cool that they are a bit boyish. You are the one of the best I've seen that can blend the right amount of girly and tough so that it looks perfect.

Venus-Suburbia Soup said...

Oh my gosh... Great idea!!! I happen to have a "p" and I was wondering what to do with it. Very cool!

jules said...

Those are awesome! They do look like metal. I think they're great!!!

Jessica said...

Your girls like boy things too so I think they completely fit in with the style you have going on!

Mike said...

Interesting. I'm now working on an easier way to build similar letters - by using online designer and then laser-cutting. Not as creative as your approach though...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

21st Century’s Signs is a name to reckon with in presenting a broad range of inventive signs at an unrivaled quality
VIEW MORE:- ACP Signage Manufacturers in Delhi, India
Thanks..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...