Friday, March 19, 2010

Book Lover

A little pillow for my sister:) The books are her all time favorites.
The ones that have meant something to her.
My favorite embroidery on the pillow is the Twilight one. My favorite book would have to be Outlander. I already have my pillow started but I won't be as rushed with mine. I just wanted to get hers done ASAP!


I started this February 19th and embroidered a little each night and occasionally skipped some nights. I had to tear out a lot of stitches and redo them so that added to the time.

I had a lot of trouble getting the lettering on to the fabric since it's hard to see through (therefore can't trace it using a light box-for some of the colors) and it wouldn't take carbon tracing paper easily. I ended up using combination of many things.


I got the idea from here. Thanks Katelyn ever so much for emailing me the link. As you know I was so excited by it, I bought the fabric for it right then and there.
A lot of the fonts are really close to the actual books spin or front of the book. I created each title in publisher and then would print out several different sizes on one paper, then printed.


The back...
The book fabric is Drawing Room by Anna Maria Horner (decorator weight fabric).


The invisible zipper and the piping...



Julia, I hope you like it!

14 comments:

Katelyn R. said...

I love it. And how you did the back with the same fabric. Can't wait to start mine!

KD Designs said...

LOVE IT!!!!! I just love all the different fonts. You're such a clever girl! :)

Corinnea said...

"SIGH" it's perfect..... I am sure your sis will love it. I meant to buy my floss today and bought fabric instead...silly me.

d-na said...

that's awesome. i would do one for chris; but, it would end up being a mile long. so, i don't think i will ;)

Kara Forristall said...

i like it... i want to make one too!

Jenny Bean said...

Jen, I love this and hope your sister does too. I can tell it took time and a lot of heart went into it. I have been looking for emails from you, postings on your blog etc. Hope all is ok with you. Miss you

lizy said...

Oh this is lovely! What a great idea and special present ;)The fonts are amazing. You out did yourself with this one, but then I aways say this about all your new creations....

Jocelyn said...

Of course she will love it! What a special, heartfelt gift!

Jules said...

OMG!!!! I LOVE IT!!!!!! Jenny, it is incredible - I am in awe of your talent and how you got the fonts to match the actual book titles. I appreciate this so much! I can't wait to get it! You are awesome! I agree with lizy, you truly out did yourself with this one!! Thank you so so much :) I love you!

Jessica said...

Mom told me you were doing this it is sooo cool to see it done! I can't believe the time you put into the embroidery! Very cool!

Mary H. said...

What a neat idea for such a cute pillow! That looks like something I could make my brother, but like D-na, they read so much so often, it would never get done! :P
Hope y'all are enjoying this long weekend!

Megan said...

I loved this so much that I went and bought the fabric too (right when I found this a few days ago!)! I did want to ask if you knew any tutorials or the like that could help me with the stitching? I've never done that before, but am now VERY eager to learn! I have a few pillows in mind to make, but I want to make sure I can actually do the stitching! Thanks for the inspiration!!

Jennifer said...

Hi Megan! Thank you so much! I'm so happy you were inspired like I was. I wonder if you could find tutorials on you-tube. I learned from someone showing me. I'm not sure how easy it would be to learn by a book. I do have a book for lots of different stitches ( http://www.amazon.com/Coats-Clark-Books-Embroidery-Stitches/dp/B000YQJ0J2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1274808893&sr=8-2 )
I would find someone to show you basic stiches. Maybe call your local craft shop and see if anyone can get you started. I hope this helps! I would love to see yours when you're done!

Megan said...

Thanks for the information! I'll have to check on a shop and see if they have any demos or something - non of the crafty people I know do stitching. If I have a chance to work on one soon, I'll try to post a picture. Otherwise it might wait a little while (but I'll still try to post one later!). I just found out I'm pregnant and I normally get really sick - so I don't think I'll be working on much in the next couple months! But I'll keep an eye on your blog - and for any info I can find on stitching!! Thanks again!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...